Tuesday, 23 November 2010

Listen to Your Chicken.

Everyone has their own experience of cooking, either good or bad. I think each one of us has their own unique way of cooking, some cooks with their instinct, some with their senses and others with exact measurements of ingredients. For me, all of them are important. You need instinct to estimate how much coconut milk is needed for a pot of curry. You need senses to taste the seasoning, to see the colour, to smell the aroma, and to poke or to touch to know if the potatoes are done. Speaking of which I actually have a way to tell when my fried chicken is done. I accidentally found this method useful when I was frying my first chicken years ago. Did you know that you can listen to your chicken? Don't look for a clucking sound, (obviously) instead, listen for a popping sound of the oil. Keep on listening and there will come a moment when the the oil stops making the popping sound. That's when you know your chicken is done. If u don't deep-fry your chicken, this is the time where you turn over the chicken to the other side. And keep listening. Cluck, cluck, cluck.

So, what's the science behind it? Learning science her entire life, yours truly can't help herself but come up with a hypothesis. She thinks that as the chicken cooks, moisture is drawn out, therefore, when it comes in contact with hot oil, it produces a popping sound. (Ok, I think I have to stop referring myself as third third person.) Unless, your pan is covered, this is not a good time to go near it. Wait until the sound stops and save yourself from having oil burns. Be quick though, because you don't want your chicken to be dry and hard as a result of overcooking. That's all for now and good luck!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.