Monday, 29 November 2010

Nasi Lemak & Chicken Tagine

This entry is dedicated to my fellow countrymen, Malaysians. Yes, I know you are all in a better place compared to mine right now. What with the endless choice of food just across the road or just around the neighbourhood. Oh, a little piece of heaven on Earth. I mean, each time you enjoyed your plate of Nasi Lemak in the morning, it felt like time stood still, right?

I have to admit, it’s hard to stay healthy living in Malaysia. I am just lucky because my family never owned a car, ever. The closest thing to a moving four-wheeled vehicle we ever get is our late grandfather’s creaking old van. So, we’d go anywhere relying on public transportations that involve more walking, running and climbing up and down the stairs. It’s not like we can’t afford it, it’s just that, my mom would postpone the idea everytime my sister and me persuaded her to buy a car. She’s unique that way, you know. In fact, when I was still a toddler, she used to cycle to work until the company moved to another place a few years after that. She’s one strong-willed woman, I can tell you that. She’s the one who inspired me to cycle and to walk during most of my undergraduate years but I’m just nothing compared to her.

However, that’s not what I come to write about in this entry. I want to write about something that has been bugging me for so long. Has it ever occurred to you that your Nasi Lemak (West Malaysia) or Nasi Minyak (East Malaysia) should have more pieces of vegetables on the side? I mean it’s always one to two thin slices of cucumber with Nasi Lemak or just a tiny portion of pickled vegetables with Nasi Minyak. And to add to that, some of us including yours truly, mesti mau kasi tambah lagi nasi and lauk. I’m just concerned that while the Dutch life expectancy is getting higher every year, my fellow Malaysians are plagued with diet-related diseases; diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, and heart disease. Maybe now is the right time to increase your portion of vegetables, start exercising and practice moderation. After all, it’s for our own sake and it’s best to start young and keep doing it even when you get old. This also goes to someone who just cheated on her diet by having four pieces of Chicken Tagine made by a true Moroccan for dinner. Jiayou!! Malaysia Boleh!!!


P/S: I Love You, Nasi Lemak.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.