Monday, 6 December 2010

Julia and Fatma

Like Mademoiselle Julia, I followed my husband everywhere he goes, halfway around the world. Along the way we adapted, living and loving the life laid in front of us. Only luckier for her, she was in France that is famous with its haute cuisine and I am here, The Netherlands, a country that is not exactly famous with its food. Not to be ungrateful or anything, but, I can’t deny that she was in a better place but with the technology that we have these days, everything is accessible just with a click of a button.

Besides that, I am childless like Julia. So, we’d spend our days cooking, buying groceries and kitchen utensils, whining to our husbands about how pathetic our lives are, reading recipe books or novels, and eating (lol!!). As much as I love children and babies, I never had the chance to have my own. I know that I’m still young and there’s still a lot of time for me but sometimes when I heard the news of a friend being pregnant or a friend who just received a newborn, I feel so happy for them but at the same time I feel so sad for myself. Along the process of consoling myself, I will eventually get to the point where I realize that maybe it isn’t the right time yet and maybe this is a blessing in disguise. After all, we can still be happy no matter how our life turns out to be.

Although I’m not a real cook like Julia, I think what happened to her, happened to me as well. I am now searching for something to do just like her once. In fact, she did everything to make her life fulfilling; learning to make hats, learning French among others but all of that doesn’t really get to her like cooking and writing. At last, she finally found what she was looking for. Like her, I wish I will find what I love doing as long as I’ll never stop looking for it. I know that I’m halfway there.

Today marks the Muslim’s New Year which according to the Lunar Calendar, it’s 1 Muharram 1432. I was born on the second day of Muharram, 25 years ago, tomorrow. Therefore, in the light of the New Year and my birthday, I feel inspired to challenge myself. Nothing too unrealistic, but believable. I thought of coming out with more authentic and inventive recipes this year. This challenge is just for me to learn and to broaden my creativity. I hope I can do better than last year. I will document my result because I think that way I can see my progress. That’s why I have a food album in my Facebook. I can see my hits and misses, and I can know how I’m going to improve it. For example, when I looked back in my album, I noticed that the steak I made in my first trial was not properly browned. So, from there I know that the next time I will make steaks for dinner; I should dry the meat first before grilling it and I should not put too much rosemary. Otherwise they won’t brown and they’ll taste bitter. There are just so many things you can learn from mistakes. That’s why we should just do it and never be afraid of making mistakes. Well, I know that Julia knew many things than me, but, did you know that Julia Child never cooked until she was married to Paul Child at the age of 34? Below is a quote from one of her famous books;

Julia: "But the first meal I ever cooked for Paul was a bit more ambitious:brain simmered in red wine! ... But the results, alas, were messy to look at and not very good to eat. In fact, the dinner was a disaster. Paul laughed it off, and we scrounged up something else that night."
Source: Julia Child with Alex Prud'homme. My Life in France. 2006. pg. 6.

That happened to me as well. See, she screwed up and made mistakes too. If she can do it, why can’t you and I? After everything that happened, it’s never too late to learn. Right?


P.S: My husband likes photography just like Julia's husband too. Maybe, I should persuade Naim to write about it too. Haha.

1 comment:

  1. Happy the 26th Birthday (from Hijri Calendar)....

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.