Wednesday, 1 December 2010

Off You Go, Mr. Fish Head!

For now, I’m just a lowly housewife who’s always finding ways to kill time. Like any other housewife, I manage the household; listing down the groceries, making the bed, cooking dinner (my husband usually made breakfast) and doing what I like to do in my own spare time. So, this morning I went to the open market in town to buy some fresh goods. I brought home some sardines and some clementines. It’s been a while since I made Asam Pedas so I decided to make the dish for dinner tonight. It’s my husband’s favourite and I simply love making it but not eating it. I’d just sit across the table and watch as my husband relished the Asam Pedas until his plate is squeaky clean. Normally, I’d just eat the okra.

The market looked so empty today probably because of the harsh weather and the merciless wind. Right now, cycling against the wind is something everyone has to battle everyday. Especially now, we’d be lucky enough if there’s even one day in this season that the wind decided to look the other way. After enough sulking about the weather, I walked my way towards the vishandel* and asked if he has some sardines and sea-bass. As he was cleaning and gutting the fishes, I stopped him “Stop! Niet snijd mijn zeebaars!” I exclaimed in my rusty Dutch, as he was about to chop the head off my sea bass. Luckily I caught him just in time and he said “Ok, geen problem.” Yeay, I saved my sea bass from being guillotined. LOL!! The head and the tail are the best parts for me and if I don't save them they'd end up in the trash anyway. Pity the fish heads.

So, it’s really different the way they handle their zeevruchten*. I was amazed at how many different knives and tools they’d use to gut, to cut, to pin-bone, and to fillet the fish while it is still raw. The way we normally do it, we’d remove the bones after the fish is cooked when we prepare our laksa and sometimes we’d miss a bone or two. I think it’s probably a good skill for me to learn especially when back home in Malaysia, I don’t have a fishmonger who can do it for me. Who knows, it could be useful, but first, I should learn how to bone a duck from Julia Child. Good luck to you and me.


P/S: I just ate a canned jack fruit or nangka in syrup offered to me by a Vietnamese friend. Finally, a taste of home. I have to be thankful even though it’s not a durian.


*vishandel- fishmonger

*zeevruchten- fruits of the sea

4 comments:

  1. Kat JUSCO ada tukang siang ikan + bersihkan skali.. tak pernah nak cuba siang sendiri kat malaysia, xdek masa... kat sini pun sama.. heheh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know, tp kat malaysia biasanye dia akn siang je..dia tak buat pulak filet2 tu..kalau yg luar pasaraya la..xtau la skrg mcm mane..dah ade org jual ikan yg pandai fillet ikan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fatma & Naim kena hati-hati dengan isu halal ye di tempat orang yang mayoritasnya non-Muslim. I wonder you boleh rasa canned of jackfruit from Vietnam.....halal ke???

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm..entahlah..i'm not sure if the canned fruit came from vietnam..sbb dia beli kt sini..x tgk pulak hr tu..
    so far kitorg punye coridormates are aware of what we can or can't eat..we tell them everything..kalau diorg tau kitorg xleh mkn ,diorg x offer la..

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.