Friday, 21 December 2012

From one shopaholic to another

This post is about how to shop wisely. I love to shop and I will love it even more if I can pay less for more merchandises. I mean, who doesn't, right? I am going to teach you how to be a bargain hunter and a shopping geek. So, here are tips that I have gathered from my own experience which I learnt the hard way:
 
  • If you love to shop online whether it's for clothes or makeup or books, only buy from those that offer free delivery or free shipping. Nowadays, there are thousands of sites that offer this. So, please do try to find one. Some examples are feelunique, revolve clothing. iciparisxl, douglas,zalando etc.Sometimes, companies even do a flash one day or one week only free delivery worldwide.
 
  • If you are a beauty junkie like me and you love trying different products but you do not want to spend a lot of money and you do not know if you are going to like it, ask kindly for a sample first. That way, you can try and decide if you are going to purchase it or not. So, you will not end up wasting your money if you do not like the product. This is especially crucial if you wanted to buy something expensive.
 
  • Look around for crazy sale especially around the holidays. However, these sales happen everytime so look for it. For example, I will only wait for buy 1 free 1 sale to buy certain product. This type of sale is always available in the drugstore in The Netherlands. As for higher end products where they are usually sold in departmental stores or parfumerie as they call it here, I will always wait for 25% off when you buy two make up products or 30% off when you buy 3 skincare products, and even 40% off lipstick, mascara etc. This is when I will go out and add one or more high end item to my collection.
 
  • Look around the clearance section. They are also available online even for clothes. I had the experience with Zara and Topshop. I did not regret a single thing I bought. A pair of pants for 7 pounds and many more. You can't beat that. This is something that blows my mind everytime. I remembered when Chanel is replacing their Pro lumiere foundation (a very good foundation btw) with the new Perfection Lumiere, my local parfumerie was having 40% off that foundation and some other Chanel rouge coco shines lipsticks that are still new and still part of the permanent collection until now. There are also perfumes like my beloved YSL Parisienne and Daisy by Marc Jacobs that I got for 50% off!! Also if you love perfumes, try checking out cheapsmells.com for a great deal. I have also found revlon colorburst lipsticks for only 3 euros at the Budget store in town when they are usually 10 euros.
 
  • Subscribe to newsletters. In every online shops, subscribe to their newsletters. It is because you will be the first to be notified if there are clearance or sales going on. That way, you are always in the know. For instance, I immediately bought 4 of my trusty Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish as soon as I was notified that they are bringing down the price to the lowest it has ever been. I still have them until now and I am only on my second bottle.
 
  • Buy kits whether it is make-up or skincare. Kits are always value for money. More often than not, you paid half the price than you would pay for them individually and separately. Kits are usually great and some makeup and skincare companies (benefit,stila etc.) do their best especially around Christmas. I saw Anastasia lipglosses kits for only 32 euros and it contains 6 full size lipglosses when in reality one full size Anastasia lipgloss would cost me 25 euros a pop. So, that is a really good deal!!
 
  • Always analyze and read reviews online from people who have bought or tried the product before buying it. If you trust your judgement, take your time to really analyze if the product is really worth spending your money on. Try to think is it something that you are going to wear a lot or not. Sometimes, things are beautiful but you will not end up wearing it loads. Even so, try to avoid buying thing out of lust because you will end up spending too much and regreted it afterwards.
 
  • Have a membership card if you frequent a place. This will earn you points that you can spend afterwards and it will also entitle you to have free samples and sales. You never lose in the end.
 
  • Look for Gift with Purchase (GWP). That way, it feels like you get so much stuffs!! Who does not love free goodies!! They will always come in handy when you are travelling because GWP always come with useful sample size of products. So you can just take them with you for holidays without weighing your luggage.
 
  • Subscribe to a monthly beauty box like Glossybox or Beautybox. They are different in every country. Sometimes, when you just do not have the time to shop it is nice to have some little surprises waiting for you. This beauty boxes usually allows you to sample many beauty products. Some of them are full sizes and some are deluxe sample sizes. You will even get special discounts for some products. Obvoiusly, you are paying way less than the products you get inside the box. And f you are on a budget that month you can always skip a month. No strings attached..
  •  
  • Have a shopping buddy. For me, it helps to have someone around when I shop. It hepls me to stay level headed and rational.
  •  
  • Never shop with a credit card, unless you are filthy rich. Remember, The Confession of a Shopaholic? This is a big no-no in my book. Credit cards are only meant for emergencies. It is always best to know and to actually see the money you spend.
Hmmm, I think I have bore you by reading my lengthy post. I think I will stop here and if you have more please feel free to comment below!! I am interested to know what are your tips to shop wisely.
 
xoxo
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.