Saturday, 29 December 2012

Oh Kuih Koci!!



 
I love love love kuih koci. Generally, I love desserts or candies that have a chewy texture to them. Onde-onde is one of them. It has been so long since I wanted to make Kuih Koci. I do not know what took me so long to make one. I have never made one before, so I wanted to make one just like the one that I used to buy back home. It was chewy, moist and it has some white bits of coconut milk, rice flour and salt just for an added flavour. To me, making kuih koci is pretty easy because it does not involve a lot of techniques. The folding of the banana leaf might require some practice but I simply remembered how the koci back home used to look like and work my way backwards. So, it was pretty straight forward. I have included a video below on how easy it is to fold it.
 
I did not follow any recipe because like I said before making the dough is really not about precision. We have to turn on that cooking instinct sometimes and chuck away that measuring cups and spoons. What I have learnt from my first experience of making this kuih is the amount of the glutinous rice flour has to be at least double the amount of the black glutinous rice flour. Water is added to the flour mixture until it forms a  non-sticky dough. Otherwise, the kuih would not come out as chewy like it supposed to. Yes, I did put a litle too much black glutinous rice flour at first and it did not come out as chewy. Oh, the beauty of learning from your own mistakes. I simply added more glutinous rice flour and water and it is fixed. The best thing about making your own kuih is you get to tweak how sweet or how creamy or how salty you wanted it to be. That is the joy of home cooking. You get what you want to. As for making the filling, I simply melted palm sugar with some water and add some dessicated coconut to the filling. Of course you can add as much sugar as you want depending on how sweet you want it to be. I also added a pinch of salt to bring out the sweetness of the palm sugar. I added some virgin coconut oil (you can also use regular cooking oil) inside the banana package just to avoid them from sticking to the banana leaf. Finally, they are put in a hot steamer to cook for about 30 minutes on a medium high heat.
 
Below are the step by step video on how I assembled my kuih koci:

 
  
 
video
 
 
 

This is how it looks like before it is cooked:
 
 
 
 
 
And this is how they look like after they are cooked:
 

I have made this kuih for two consecutive days  and that goes without telling how much I love them!! I still have some reserved for breakfast tomorrow. So, that is all for now. And why don't you try and make some!! It's fun and easy at the same time. Good luck if you try it and see you in the next post!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.