Sunday, 13 January 2013

A Guide to Cendawan Goreng

I first made "cendawan goreng" when I was an intern at University Malaysia Terengganu 4 or 5 years ago. I took my inspiration from the ones sold at our local night market back then. The batter is quite runny like the batter for fish and chips to make it light but crispy at the same time.
From there, I whipped up my own version because back in the day, we did not have any internet connection to google the recipe for this vegetarian snack. I used the same recipe until today but I added a few elements to get it more flavourful and even more crispy. I put some cumin seeds to enhance the flavour of the batter and I coated the already-dipped-in-batter-mushroom into a Panko breadcrumbs before frying it in hot vegetable oil. The batter is crispy in itself but the Panko breadcrumbs (and not an ordinary breadcrumbs) makes it a whole lot more crispy. Oh le me tell you, it makes a huge difference to the taste. It struck me in so many levels. First, it was the crunch as I bit into it, and then, a hum of flavour from the cumin seeds and finally the earthy and succulent texture of the oyster mushrooms. So, I thought Í would share it with you.

Ok, so now let's get into the list of ingredients. You will need:

  1. Wheat flour
  2. Baking powder
  3. Cumin seeds
  4. ice cold water
  5. salt
  6. panko breadcrumbs
  7. a dash of freshly ground black pepper(optional)
  8. Oyster mushrooms

So there you have it. As you can see, it is not a recipe but it is rather a guide that you can follow and make it your own. You just need to make sure that the consistency of the batter is quite runny but it should be able to cling and coat the mushroom evenly. If it's too thin, add some more flour. Too thick add more water. Lastly, be sure to taste the batter for seasoning by adding enough salt to taste.


Good luck in the kitchen and see you in the next post.

2 comments:

  1. hai.. this is look more crunchy and yummy! then i found in semenanjung malaysia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello..it is. you should try to make it..it's very easy..rs puas hati dpt makan byk2!!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.