Saturday, 20 July 2013

Pasta in Bechamel Sauce with Shrimp Recipe



I am no chef, just a home cook who loves preparing food for my little family. And today, I would like to share with you a recipe that I have had in my repertoire for so long and that is my Pasta in Bechamel Sauce with Shrimp. It's a tray bake all in one dish. You will have your protein, your carbs and you veggies in there too.
 
Bechamel sauce is a basic white sauce that is generaly used in French or Italian cuisines. it is basically consist of butter, flour and milk. Once you learn it, you are pretty much sorted for oother dishes that require a bechamel base. However, for this version of my bechamel sauce, I added some elements that I think really complement the richness of this white sauce. So, without further ado, let's reveal the recipe and a step-by-step process towards making it!!
 
Ingredients (serves 5):
 
 200 g butter
2 1/2 cups milk
half cup flour
2 cloves of garlic crushed or finely chopped
2 tsp thyme
dash of cayenne pepper and nutmeg
salt and pepper to season
 
 
broccoli florets cut into bite sized pieces
blanched tiger shrimp
300-350 g pasta
grated cheese preferably cheddar or parmesan
 
 
Directions:
 
 
- First start by cooking your pasta. You want them to be al dente because the pasta are going to cook further in the sauce in the oven.
 
-On a medium high heat, melt the butter in a saucepan until melted and slightly golden. While it's melting, add the garlic and thyme because the aromatics in thyme will dissolve better in fat.
 
 
-Then, add the flour. Combine the butter and flour until they are mixed. Cook them until golden brown to cook the flour slightly.
 
-Then, turn the heat down, and add in 1 cup of the milk first. With a wire whisk, dissolve the flour in the milk by whisking back and forth and they the flour is all dissolved. Then add, the rest of the milk in and repeat the same procedure using the whisk. The consistency of the sauce should "coat a spoon". (Refer to image below) Too thick add more milk, too thin put them back on the stove to evaporate the liqiud.
 
 
-Then turn off the heat and add your seasonings. Blanch your shrimp for 1 minute in boiling water.
 
-After that add in your pasta and your shrimp into the sauce. Add the pasta bit by bit to ensure that all pasta is coated with the sauce. Pour it into a baking dish.

 
 
-Then arrange your broccoli florets and sprinkle with grated cheese.
 
 
 
-Bake until all the cheese is melted at 160 degrees celcius and serve.
 
 
 
 
There you are, my simple yet delicious pasta bake dish that I have been making for years. I really hope that you give this a try and trust me you will love it!! I am so gald that I finally get to share this recipe with you too!!
 
Love,
Fatma 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.