Saturday, 13 July 2013

Ramadhan Series #2: How I made Tempeyek

 
Assalamualaikum everyone!! How's Ramadhan been treating you? Have you reaped the rewards this holy month has to offer?
 
Anyway, today I have planned to make some tempeyek; a traditional Malaysian savoury crackers that is enjoyed during the festive season. I have been really wanting to make one every single Ramadhan but somehow I never got around to it. I had the mould since two years ago and today was the first time that  I use it.
 
Every Eid, my family and I used to buy tempeyek from a specific tempeyek vendor. In my opinion hers is the tastiest tempeyek I have ever eaten in my entire life. So, in the attempt of making one I came up with a recipe that comes close to it.
 
Ingredients:
 
1 cup rice flour
1 cup corm flour or tapioca flour
1 cup water
1 cup concentrated coconut milk (i used Kara)
10 pieces of finely chopped curry leaves (the fresher the better, otherwise you can use dried ones)
3 tsp coriander seeds
2-3 tbsp of cumin seeds; u can add more of course
1/2 tsp of bicarbonate soda or a litle bit of lye water or air kapur
salt to taste
 
Combine the ingredients above in a blender and blend them together for about 1 min. You can reserve some of the cumin seeds unblended and mix them whole in the batter.

 
 
Toppings;
 
200 g of peanut'; u can always substitute with lentils or  green beans
some medium sized dried anchovies
 
Tools:
 
Tempeyek mould (as shown in the video)
Wok
 
For a demonstration of how I made it you can watch it here to see me in action.
 
 
 
 
Et voila!! The end result; crispy and delicious tempeyek!!
 

 
 
Verdict: After tasting them, the taste is close to the tempeyek that I used to love. It's so good if I say so myself. I highly recommend you to try it for yourself. And I am glad to share this recipe with you too!!
 
 
 
  

1 comment:

  1. Can u tell me where I can find the rempeyek mold?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.