Thursday, 19 September 2013

Birthdays and Resolutions


 
For this post, I would like to say Assalamualaikum and welcome to my new followers. If you don't know already, I just celebrated my birthday two days ago and it has got me thinking about life. At this age, being a mom and a student at the same time, I really want to do a lot more. This point of my life I do believe in pursuing my dreams and ambitions. For me, if you feel like doing something, don’t wait , pursue it NOW no matter with how little you have.

Growing up, I always have this side of me that love other things but they were just stucked within me. Back then, I was thinking that I shouldn’t do anything about it because it’s a distraction. How wrong was I? Now, I realized that it should not be a distraction, but things that will make my life more interesting and enjoyable. It is ok to do and to like so many things. I feel like it’s something that makes you a normal human being. I love science just as much as I love cooking and playing with makeup. I took pleasure in everything I do because each has its own attractiveness.

Having said that, there are also some part of me that I would like to improve. As a servant of Allah, I have a lot of sins and it is my wish to be a better person every single day. It is a struggle but that is life. Without struggle nothing significant can be achieved. And for that, I want to start with something that just happened on my birthday. I brought a cake that I made to my department to share with other PhD students, staffs and Master students. So naturally in the Dutch culture, they would shake your hands and give a kiss on the cheeks to greet you Happy Birthday. There were no cheek kissing involved but there are a continuous stream of people coming to shake my hands that I did not have the ability to deny it. There were some handshakes that I was able to refuse by pretending to lick y finger from eating the cake but there were just far too many that I wasn’t able to refuse. As a Muslim, I know that this is in fact Haram unless you are in a near death or darurah situation. So, later on that day, I vowed to myself never to accept handshakes form any Ajnabi men anymore. Actually, I made this vow a long time ago but I have not actually experience the situation first hand to practise the vow.  I don’t know if you have seen this video from Pearl Daisy or Ameena but she just makes it so easy. First of all, I am not as bubbly or spontaneous as her but maybe I can come with a trick that is more ‘me’ and less pretentious. (I am still workin on that)

Besides that, I am also trying to improve my social skill or people skill. In my field especially Science, communication is very important because you get to share your scientific knowledge with other people who love science like you do. And being at one of the best university means I get to rub shoulders with op scientist who are good at what they do. I find that it is easy to be shy but you don’t really benefit from it. So , get out there, talk to people and have fun. (I am telling it to myself as well). Blogging and making videos on YouTube have helped a lot with it. I think I am less timid and less shy now that I did years ago.

Anyways, I am so happy that I get to share this with all of you. I feel like when
 you express things, you will be more committed to getting it done. Do you feel
 the same too?

 

3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, kak. Aww.. Urban Decay The Glinda Palette! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you!!i would say if you can't deide between the two i \'d go for glinda because theodora is more natural brown..mgkin june dah ade dah clour yg sama in your collection..

      Delete
  2. happy birthday fatimah! :D
    i hear you on the hand shaking issue. since changing company to Avon (where there are mostly muslim) it's not so hard to avoid. good luck to us both!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.