Wednesday, 27 November 2013

Food by Fatma: Black Forest Roulade



So, I am sure that many of you have seen my Instagram photos of this cake beauty. I have always been a fan of black forest cake and cheesecake. Combine them together and we have ourselves a delicious Black Forest Roulade. I am not a dessert girl myself but I have to say this makes me look like one because I ate too much of it. I used to be someone who just like to make beautiful desserts but when it comes to eating them, I leave them to my husband and my friends because I don't have a sweet tooth. With this, the story is about to change. I really like it because it's not overly sweet and it preserves the richness of the chocolate. The combination of chocolate and the cherry preserves is so heavenly. Think chocolate covered strawberries and you get what I mean. I adapted this recipe form here and make it my own version and adjust it to the ingredients I have on hand. It turned out awesome that I am thinking of baking this again this weekend. So, if you want to see my recipe, then keep reading.

Ingredients:


The cake:
7 medium eggs or 6 large eggs at room temperature, separated
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cold water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder, divided
1/2 cup cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt

Filling:

300 g Cream Cheese, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup icing sugar
2/3 cup cherry preserves

Tools:
A clean tea towel
A sieve
a mixing bowl
a mixer
measuring cups and spoons
a baking tray
 

 
How to:

Preheat oven to 175 degree celcius. Line your baking tray with baking paper. After the eggs have been separated, beat the egg whites on medium high while adding the sugar gradually until it forms a stiff peaks and the sugar is incorporated. In another bowl, whisk together egg yolks, water and vanilla. Then fold the mixture into the egg whites. After that, sift together 1/4 cup cocoa powder, flour, baking soda and salt into the egg mixture. After everything is well incorporated, pour the batter into the baking tray. Make sure that it is spread evenly. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until your ckae tester came out clean. While baking the cake, sift the remaining 1/4 cup of cocoa powder onto the tea towel to resemble the shape of the cake. The cake should feel fluffy and springy to the touch when it is cooked. Turn the cake over onto the tea towel that has been sprinkled with cocoa powder and roll the cake from the short end like you would a sushi. This will ensure the cake to be easy to roll later on without breaking.Allow cake to cool at room temperature. While the cake is cooling, prepare the filling. Beat the cream cheese until smooth. Then add your icing sugar until smooth. In another bowl, stir the cherry preserves so it will be easier to spread. When 
cake is completely cool, unroll it and trim the blunt edges. Spread a thin layer of the cherry preserves. spread the cream cheese on top and re roll the cake. Refrigerate for 1 hour to set it before slicing.



That is it guys. I promise you that this is such an easy dessert to make without tearing your kitchen apart. So good luck and I hope you enjoy this recipe because we certainly do.

 

4 comments:

  1. Nabilah Ismailjee27 November 2013 at 11:28

    Looks super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. taste even better!!hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh that looks delicisous! I think I'll give it a go inshallah in the weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wish you could send me some!! InshaAllah, your cake will turn out great!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.