Tuesday, 2 September 2014

Back to School Makeup + Back to School Fashion with Ada

  
Makeup makes everything better including school. Well, to be honest, I never get to wear makeup to school but I know that for most of you, it is the opposite. Today, I will guide you through a makeup step by step to help you looking fresh and beautiful for school. I will be using only drugstore makeup and they are all fantastic, I promise.

 
Here are the products I used:

1. Foundation: Bourjois Healthy Mix. The 'it' foundation. Great for young skin who does not need much coverage. Suitable for normal/combination to slightly dry skin. Oilier skin may want to try mattifying powder foundation. Sensitive and acne prone skin may benefit from using mineral powder foundation. You can try Loreal True Match Mineral Powder  Foundation. It also comes with a kabuki brush for buffing the powder into the skin.

2. Concealer: Maybelline Mineral concealer. I mainly used this on my blemishes. Another great drugstore alternatives is the Maybelline Fit Me concealer which is great for both undereye and imperfections. For my, under eyes, I used my Bourjois CC Eye Cream to brighten and mask the look you may get from burning the midnight oil. Just be sure to dust some  powder where you concealed to prevent the concealer from migrating. 

3. Brows: Catrice Eyebrow Stylist in Date with Ashton, my holy grail eyebrow pencil because the shade is spot on for my brows. Catrice has 3 shades available for blondes and even for dark haired girls. The pencil is waxy so it will hold the colour and the brow in place. If you want more option to your brow routine, Gosh Cosmetics Brow Kit is your best bet because you can customize the colour of your brows with the 3 shades available in the kit. It also comes with a wax to set the brows in place.

 
4. Powder: For me, there's none other than Bourjois Healthy Balance powder. I find it less of a powder because it does not leave a powdery matte look on the skin. It looks like real skin but still able to set the makeup in place. If you prefer a more matte but natural look, try a loose translucent powder. It is much more forgiving on teenaged skin. 

5. Bronzer, blush and highlighter: you do not need all three to look beautiful. If I'd have to choose two just to keep my morning routine short, it 'd be blush and highlighter just because their application is much easier. I used The Body Shop Honey Bronzer to give some definition on my cheekbone. Then, for blush I chose Gosh Powder Blush in Flower Power. This the best matte, neutral shade blush from the drugstore. It is the perfect shade for every skin tones and can easily be sheered out for fairer skin. Trust me, you are going to need this one blush. For highlighter, I have to give a shoutout to my Catrice Prime and Fine Highlighting Powder. It is such a gorgeous highlighter. It is seriously one of the best that I have found from the drugstore. The trick with highlighter is you only need to apply it precisely where you need the most glow; on the top of your cheekbones, and your Cupid's bow. Be gentle with application because you may not want to look like a disco ball. 

6. Mascara: you can use whatever mascara that works for you but I figure the Maybelline Big Eyes Mascara is great for school girls because it is a dual ended mascara that has a brush for the upper lashes and another smaller brush for a the lower lashes. You get two mascaras while only paying for the price of one. With a good curl, this mascara works to give the most natural and fluttery looking lashes. Speaking of a good curl, Tweezerman Eyelash Curler is a good medium priced curler on the market. The trick is not to crimp but rather to keep pumping your eyelashes with an eyelash curler  while moving it upwards to the tip of your eyelashes. That way, you will get, a smooth curled eyelashes.

7. Eyeliners: I seriously think that nobody got time for liquid eyeliners especially for school. So for some definition on the eyes, the trick is to tight line the inner portion of your upper eyelids. This technique is a stealth way to give the illusion of thicker eyelashes because you are lining the roots of your eyelashes. The trick is to choose a smooth, preferably a twist up black eyeliner. I find that the conventional pencil requires you to sharpen and the wood can sometimes get in the way and irritate the eyes. For a smooth, non-teary application try looking to the side of your ears and draw the line. Try Rimmel Exaggerate Waterproof Eye Definer in Black for the smoothest application that stay on throughout the day. You may also need a skin color eyeliner for your water line (the bottom half of your inner eyelid) to get rid of the redness and to make the eyes appear more fresh and wide awake. I love the Gosh Cosmetics Velvet Touch Eyeliner in 015 Pure Natural. The tip is soft and the colour does not transfer throughout the day. 

8. Eyeshadow: you can never go wrong with earth tones. It complements everyone and it is available widely in the drugstore. Start with a base to help your eyeshadow lasts and stays vibrant. Try Hema Eyeshadow Base or the Maybelline Color Tattoo in On and On Bronze. I love both but for this look I chose the Maybelline one. Then, I layered  the third shade from the Maybelline Eye Studio Quad in 01Copper Brown on my eyelids and I took the last shade from the quad to the outer corners. I used the first shade to highlight my tear duct. Blend everything away with you ring finger. It is as easy as that.

9. Lipstick and lipgloss: I love pairing pink lips with earth tones eyeshadows. And for that I chose Essence Long Lasting Lipstick in Love Me. This lipstick is easy to apply and it stays quite long on the lips too. The colour is so lovely and I like the fact that it does not contain glitters or shimmer. I seriously feel that wearing a lipgloss makes everybody look younger and fresher. Plus it adds an extra layer of moisture to help condition the lips and keeping the lipcolor stay longer than they can. Since we are going for a back to school look, I chose the NYX Butter Gloss in Vanilla Cream Pie to complement the pink pout.

10. Makeup Setting Spray: it is not often to find a drugstore priced makeup setting spray but I feel that the Victoria's Secret Make it Last Prime and Set Makeup Spray is just as good any makeup sprays out there or maybe better with only half the price. This seriously works at keeping my makeup on my face all day till the moment I took it off. You can also use it to prime your face before applying your makeup. What's not to like about it, right? Go get yours now. 


Makeup done and it is time to choose what to wear to school. My friend Ada has some great outfits laid out for you here  at http://www.adaahyaudin.com/ . She is a fashion blogger and vlogger residing in Australia. She loves thrifting and she has a great sense of style. I love her selection of outfits. You do not want to miss that. Also check out her YouTube channel here, https://www.youtube.com/user/Adaahyaudin and show her some love by subscribing!!


xoxo.


2 comments:

  1. I love the look! Especially the eyes! I'm a sucker for bronze eyes.. and you can never go wrong with the maybelline colour tattoos. Thanks so much Fatimah for the chance to collab.. we'll have to do it again when we get the chance to :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, that blush is gorgeous! (pun intended). Meh, I wish I had thought of wearing makeup to school! Ok, maybe not school, but at least college! I look ghastly, it's horrendous! lol
    Are you still out of the country?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.