Wednesday, 19 November 2014

Get Your Glow On


 
 
 
I am writing this post while being serenaded by Ed Sheeran Thinking Out Loud song. It is pure bliss. Anyway, today's entry is all about getting your glow on with the help of makeup. A little back story, I was never a fan of the glowy look. Years before the revelation found me, I was an all-matte-no-shine-in-sight kinda gal. That had been my makeup personality for as long as I can remember. So, you can imagine how much powders it took to mask my combination-oily skin.
 
Now, I have learnt to appreciate what was naturally given to me.And so far, the favour is on my side. I found that glowy makeup accentuates the natural beauty best. It also helps to blur and smooth out imperfections, fine lines etc. And it makes the skin looks radiant, healthy and flawless. Glowy makeup suits someone who has normal, dry combination-oily skin (not super oily) also dull and aging skin.
 
Here's the step by step on how I achieve mine:
 
Prime:  Clarins Beauty Flash Balm all the way. This really helps to energize, tighten and gives radiance instantly. It has a peach tint which helps to provide the glow factor that you need. I also love that it feels just like a moisturizer on the skin too. You simply apply a dollop to your skin and apply foundation right after without having to wait for it to dry.
 
Foundation: You are to choose foudation that gives that dewy look and they normally have a satin finish when applied to the skin. Depending on your skin type you may want to choose one that suits it. My picks for combination-oily skin are: Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, Bourjois Healthy Mix, Bourjois Happy Light Foundation. For dull and aging skin, choose YSL Youth Liberator Serum Foundation or Chanel Vitalumiere Foundation. Normal to dry skin may want to try the YSL Le Teint Touche Eclat or Chanel Vitalumiere Foundation. Application should follow the less is more approach, just enough for the skin to look even. Let your freckles and your minor imperfection shows through. Bare looking skin is sexy, trust me.
 
Concealer: The key is precision. Just apply where it is needed. On old scars, acne, and undereye areas, choose a concealer that is designed for the areas. My picks for imperfection are NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer and Makeup Forever Full Cover Concealer. For the undereyes specifically to correct dark circles I chose my Bobbi Brown Corrector in Peach and Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in 25. For highlighting, be quite stingy with the amount you put on because it may end up looking too thick. My picks are YSL Touche Eclat and Bourjois CC Eye Cream.
 
Setting Powder: Just in places where you would normally get oily, e.g: nose, forehead and chin. Use translucent powder for setting the concealer with a smaller powder brush. Choose a setting powder and not powder foundation becase the former has less coverage. My favourite is Bourjois Healthy Balance Powder and Chanel Natural Finish Loose Powder.
 
Finishing Powder: Yes, apparently there is another powder to the equation. Finishing powders can provides a subtle, all over luminousity to the skin. It gives a pearly veil that makes the skin looks more radiant and healthier. I love Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light and my Guerlain Meteorites Compact. Be really careful to apply sheerly or otherwise your skin may end up looking like wrinkled paper from all the powders. Emm, I am not saying that I have been there but I might be....
 
Highlighter: After all of that powder, it is time for some real glow, that is highlighter. I only use it for my cheekbones because I already have combination to oily skin. However, if you have dry skin don't be afraid to use it on the bridge of your nose, your cupid's bow and your brow bone. My favourites for subtle highlight are Catrice Prime and Fine Highlighting Powder in Fairy Dust and Chanel Poudre Signee de Chanel. For more induced glow, my favourite is the Dior Amber Diamond.  If you are not a fan of powder highlighter try Benefit High Beam or Benefit Watt's Up. I find the former is better suited for lighter skin tones while the latter suits Asian or warmer skin tones better. 
 
 
And then, that is half of your makeup done. Phew, never knew that it takes a jungle to look this good. Beauty is certainly not an instant gratification. It takes work but it is worth it because it makes us feel good about ourselves. It is me but better.
 
 
Do you love glowy makeup?
 
 

 
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. I love glowy makeup! The Loreal lumi magique is amazing as a highlight!x

    The little things in life

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.