Friday, 23 January 2015

Beautiful Food #2: Asian-Style Mung Bean Salad With Omelette Strings and Spicy Fermented Soy Bean Dressing

 
I believe that a healthy diet should not mean skimping on food. I believe we should be able to eat and nourish our bodies with what it deserved. Good, wholesome food. I don't know about you, but I feel good when I eat healthy food. As of now, I am trying to incorporate more and more of them into my lifestyle that maybe someday turns into a healthy habit. I have been through this last year but it somehow slipped away in the midst of life and moving out to another country. I, for one love eating salad. I love the freshness, it's easy to prepare and it takes very little cooking which means the nutrients will be preserved. My version today is rather Asian or Malaysian to be precise. It is delicious, spicy and most importantly healthy.
 
Let's get started with the Mise en Place, You will need:
 
A: The Base
A palmful of dried Mung Bean noodles or Suhun (soak in water to soften)
3 tbsp of coconut milk
Salt
In a pan and over medium low heat, saute the soaked mung bean, swirl it around until it is cooked and add the coconut milk and season with salt. Incorporate well and set aside. This will act as a base for your salad.
 
B: The Topping
3 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp of fermented soy bean or taucu
3 bird's eye chilis chopped
some dried snchivies
2 blocks of mediun soft tofu
In a pan, heat a little oil and saute garlic and dried anchovies together. Add the chilis next until the flavour is released. Then, incorporate the tofu just until it is slightly brown around the edge. Then add the fermeted soy bean. The tofu will act like a ponge and absorb all the flavours. You will not need any salt because the taucu is already quite salty.
 
C: The Finishing Touches
a handful of any vegetables you have (washed and rinsed)
1 egg (beaten)
and salt
To make the omelette string simply fried the egg like you would an omelet. An egg will make a very thin omelet. Roll the omelet and cut it like a roll of sushi. Simply saute the veges and set aside.
 
 
Then, assemble your salad and voila. I love how they are so many layers of flavours in this salad. I practically shared this salad with my husband because it has so many components. I feel full without piling on too much calories too.
 
Who says you have to forgo taste to eat healthy?
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Wandee Rach Inta Thomas17 February 2015 at 10:37

    Hi there! Nice blog you have there . Maybe we could follow each other ? :) Anyway, followed you blog , hope you could follow me too so that we can get to know each other/

    Do support my latest video to be in the running to win the LAZADA contest ! :)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50inu2foBCI

    So what would you purchase on Lazada? Discounts are MAD over there.And together with that, get your DISCOUNT CODES AT MY BLOG!

    Read more at : http://www.wandeerach.com/2015/02/top-5-items-ill-purchase-from-lazada.html

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.