Monday, 19 January 2015

Your Smokey Eye Essentials and How Tos


 
Go smokey or go neutral. You decide. I always go for the former when I want to look extra dramatic. What I love most is how it can be played down or bold up for anytime of the day or occasions. A smokey eye means business. Do it wrong, it will look disastrous. Although I am your slap on single eyeshadow kinda gal, when I do a full face of makeup, you bet it is going to be a smokey eye or a bold lip or both occassionally. Right now, I am happy that I have finally got my smokey eye essentials down to a T. Doing a smokey has never been easier with the right accessories.
 
Basic Base: It's all about the base.Think of it as a blank canvas that you applied on your peepers. It helps your eyeshadow looking vibrant and prevent them from creasing throughout the day. I like my Hema Eyeshadow Base (bought in Holland) because it is transparent, lightweight and makes my eyeshadows stay put. I secretly think that it might be a dupe for the NARS Pro Prime Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Primer. If you like to banish redness or veins, try the tinted or skin coloured ones like the Benefit Stay Don't Stray, the Essence I Love Stage Eyeshadow Base or the Urban Decay Primer Potion.
 
Palette Platter: If you are a smokey eye kinda gal, you may have a healthy appetite for eyeshadow palettes. Drugstore or high end, look for the ones which have enough neutrals or brown tones that can create great contrasting shades against your eye canvas and can complement your eyes. A good palette should have contrasting, defining and complementing shades. I do feel like the minimum you can go is 4 colours but I like the lucky number 5. My favourites are the Urban Decay Naked 2 palette (worn here) and the Chanel Quint in Charming (worn below). A few mattes may come in handy as well for blending in the crease like the offering from the Urban Decay Naked Basics.
 
 
Tightline Tint: Smokey on the lids, smokey on the lashlines. Go all out or go home. I always does this routinely when I do a smokey eye. It makes you look professional. It's the tiny details and the little things that really makes a smokey eye outstanding. I recommend a good twist up pencil pencil for this. You do not want any splinter in your eyes, do you? Try Rimmel Exaggerate Eye Definer or Loreal Infallible Twist Up Eyeliner. You can count of them to stay put on the waterline.  My trick is alwys to look towards the nose and drag the pencil lighly back and forth.
 
Waterline Wink: The Yin to the Yang. The light to the dark. You want to bring back the light into your eyes. I love using matte flesh coloured eye pencil for this. I love my Gosh Cosmetics Velvet Touch Eyeliner in Pure Natural. It neutralizes out the natural redness in the waterline. It is the perfect colour if you have a medium skin tone like I do. If you know other good ones, do drop it in the comment below.
 
Linear Liner: Wing it till you make it!! I feel like whenever the eyeliner is on, I am turned on by how gorgeous the whole look pulls together. A winged eyeliner really makes it. You can do a thicker line or go more subtle just like I did there. I still do love and exclusively using my Benefit They're Real Push Up Liner for all kinds of eye look.
 
 
Mascara Mischief: More is more. You want your eyelashes to stand out against the shadows and not get lost in it. Opt for a volumizing mascara. You can also layer with a lengthening mascara on top. My favourite one at the moment is the Maybelline Rocket Volum' Mascara. Don't forget the bottom lashes too. Use only the leftover of what is left on the bristle. Or specifically use Clinique Bottom Lash Mascara. This mascara will never budge or smudge. Take my word for it. It is great and made for sensitive eyes too.
 
Breezy Brushes: The obvious. Unless you are Barbara Brush-Hands, you need the help of brushes. I do believe in investing on good brushes but nowadays there are a lot of companies coming up with brushes that rivals the high end ones. Like Zoeva. Their Complete Eye Set is great value and great quality. If you are on a budget, these four brushes from Zoeva are sufficient for a smokey eye; 
 #234 Luxe Smokey Shader-for applying base colour and packing on colours or glittery eyeshadow,
 #230 Luxe Pencil- for applying defining darker shades on the outer V and the lower lashlines
 #231 Luxe Petit Crease- for applying a transitional shade on the crease and blending towards the  outer corners
#227 Luxe Soft Definer- for blending and diffusing all colours together
 
A Hint of Highlight : Time to take the eyes into the limelight. Add a little shimmery champagne sparkle on the tear duct and the inner half of the lower lashlines. Blend everything together and you are good to go!! Just don't forget them brows, darling.
 
 
Now, are you game?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.