Wednesday, 8 July 2015

Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue: The Nanoweight Skin Beautifying Base That Changes The Way I Perceive Makeup



Let me be honest with you. As avid a fan as I am of makeup, I do have a lot of skeptic moments myself. Especially when it comes to souped up base in tinted moisturizer, BB or CC cream format. You would think that it must be much more lightweight than a foundation and that you can skip your moisturizer and wear it on its own. Well, first, I ain't going to skip my moisturizer and second, there are loads of lightweight foundations out there in the market. Having said that, I do have a few BB and tinted moisturizer favourites namely the Guerlain Beauty Booster and the Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer. Are they such must haves? I think not. To me, they just serve as an alternative to a foudation, an imposter under different aliases.

It was not until the Bare Minerals Complexion Recue came in the picture that it captures my attention. You see like most traditional Tinted Moisturizers/BB in the market, they are formulated with just adding a moisturizer and some humectants. In essence, we are still wearing makeup and I have never felt like they deliver any skincare benefits or added hydration. My interest was piqued when I learn that the Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue reverse engineer their product by formulating the molecules in reverse; water on the outside and pigment on the inside which allows for instant hydration and rapid absorption by the skin. It also claims to improve skin hydration to 215% after 1 week of use. Right there, it had me. I rushed to Sephora, bare-faced, tested it in store and walked home with one. Clearly, I do not need 2 weeks to be convinced by the claims. My skin instantly feels so hydrated, smooth with a beautiful glow. I also noticed that it is the most lightweight base that I have ever put on my face. That is something I do not get from just wearing my regular foundations and tinted moisturizer. So, this product really has a selling point that puts it above the rest. Trust me, it is not just a marketing hype.


Being Bare Minerals, the ingredients list is something I can trust out of my very limited knowledge of chemistry. The first thing you see is water which means it is water based. I also see several skin hydrating agents like;

-Glycerin, 
-Hyaluronic Acid (brilliant) along with some 
-marine botanicals
-mineral electrolytes and 
- antioxidants to ward off free radicals thus preventing cell damage and ageing

This product also contains non chemical broad spectrum SPF 30.


The texture held together on my hand without running down and it is really as how it is described, a gel-cream. When I first tested it on my hand, it spreads and blends so easily and it leaves almost a transparent finish on my hand. You would not look twice if you are into high coverage bases when you see this. The coverage is very subtle and buildable but it is there. It is just too micronized or nanonized for you to be able to see it with a naked eye;  refer to ingredients list; Titanium Dioxide (Nano). That is how the weightlessness of this base lends itself.
The above photo is me wearing just a layer of Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue. For me, it gives just the coverage that I need, very skin like and transparent. I could just walk out of the house like this but anyone with blemished skin would need a concealer just where it is needed. And if I want a super perfected look, I would dab a little bit of concealer around my chin, nose and on my forehead where I have scars leftover form acne. You will notice that it imparts a soft focus glow to the skin without using micro shimmer in the product. My ice-pick scars on my cheeks seem to blur out without any need for me to use any pore minimizing primer (refer to close up photo below).

Close up with only Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue (no primers. no photo retouch)
The Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue blends effortlessly on the skin and mesh with my skin within seconds of blending. Upon contact with the skin, you will notice the cooling sensation that hits the skin. Application works amazingly both with hands and and brushes. I find that using a brush gives it a more elevated finish.

Since this product is not marketed to be super long wearing, I find that it wears beautifully throughout the day.  It still holds its integrity without looking patchy on the skin. It does not leave my skin dry or oily. In fact, it makes my skin softer, more supple, hydrated, and plumper with wear. I have never ever get that from wearing any foundation or bases before except from the YSL Youth Liberator Serum Foundation. Makeup usually do the opposite. I can say so because I have experienced not wearing a smidgen of makeup for two whole months and my skin never looked better. Truly, the Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue will change the way you see makeup.

Perfected base with a little bit of concealer and loose powder on the T-Zone 
I would say the Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue would suit anyone who sought after skin caring properties in their makeup and those who are after a skin like, ultra natural finish (emphasis on the word ultra) to the skin. If you want a higher coverage, then you may want to look the other way. Also, if you are struggling to achieve a professional no makeup makeup look, this is the one product for you to achieve just that. 

This product will suit dry skinned people the best as it has hydrating properties. However, all skin types including sensitive skin (fragrance free formula) would benefit from a little hydration or in fact works in the skin's favour. All I am saying is, it may be suitable for all skin types. Just try it first and see how your skin reacts to it. A little dusting of powder on top might help at keeping the shine at bay. 

If you are looking around for the next best tinted moisturiser, do consider the Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue. It may be worth your while. It is currently selling at RM 135 at Sephora. 

Pssst, the Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue also gets a high 4 star rating on Beautypedia!! Are you not convinced yet?







1 comment:

  1. Kayyyyy upon reading your review I can't stop googling other review for this one and now I'm hooked 😅

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.