Wednesday, 8 July 2015

My Pregnancy Self Care Routine And a Gender Reveal!!



Assalamualaikum readers!! Today, I would like to touch on a subject that is very close and personal to me. I spoke about it already here back when this blog has 2 readers. Hihi. However, I would like to share it once again because they are things that I have been doing since my first pregnancy and I am still doing it for my second pregnancy now. Apart form that, I know that there are expectant mothers out there reading this blog, so I thought it is my duty to share and spread what works for me. Who knows, they might work for them too. Currently, I am 29 weeks along, feeling a little less comfortable to sleep, a little hotter than ever under the heat (just cause my basal temperature rise a little bit during pregnancy) and eating too much makes me feel too stuffed. Other than that, I am feeling great and most importantly the baby is doing so well too. 

Onto the gender reveal
.
.
.
.
.
.
I will be anticipating the birth of a girl!! My husband and I will be happy and grateful whether it will be a boy or a girl anyways but my feelings tells me that it is going to be a girl and I was right. Najla was also happy, of course, and she already learnt the name of her little sister and already dedicated some toys just for her. I just found that it is just too cute. I literally cannot wait to see them together. 


Ok, onto the point of this post, I will share my personal prenatal routine with you, other than the scheduled visit to the gynaecologist. So, here they are:

1. Nutrition and Hydration: Especially in the month of Ramadan, I will make sure that I drink a lot of water between my breaking fast and my Sahur (dawn breakfast). As far as nutrition goes, I pretty much eat everything in moderation, in balance with enough protein, fibre and carbohydrate and I do not eat anything processed, except when I have cravings for it. Outside the fasting month I ate little portion of food at a time about 5 times a day quite frequently just because my stomach can't handle big portions at once. Besides that, I still do take my prenatal vitamins just to stay energised to entertain my 3 year old daughter and doing chores around the house. I still do my cardio and strength training a few times a week to further prime my body for what's even more challenging times to come; labour. I just took it gently and safely where it involves me to listen to my body every single time. I only do a pregnancy safe workout which I found quite a lot on YouTube. 

2. Beauty: Unlike my first pregnancy, my complexion has not gone dark this time around. In fact, it has become slightly normal and dry at times. Of course I avoid using skincare which has Vitamin A/retinol in it although I feel like trying the Sunday Riley Luna Sleeping Night Oil so bad. I think I am just going to try their Good Genes serum for now. I have also been using a more gentle and more plant based skincare as of late because I find that it works better for my skin. As far as preventing stretch marks, I still stick to my Palmer's Olive Butter Formula which works wonders at keeping my tummy firm and free from stretch marks. I use it after shower and I am hoping that it will still work this time around. Sometimes, I also the oil together on top for more hydration.

3. Emotional Wellbeing: I try to keep my mind and my hands occupied  at all times with doing and thinking positive actions and thoughts. It helps having a toddler around because I practically do not have time sapping or daydreaming, which is a good thing. I also cultivate my interest in beauty and blogging everytime I can just so I do not lose touch of what interest me and of who I am. I went out alone at times just to have some 'me' time which I find is healthy for my emotional well being. Other than that, being a Muslim, I always try to stay connected to Allah and supplement my soul with the verse from the Holy Quran. Alhamduliillah, this Ramadhan is just as beautiful as I imagined it to be. 

4. Perineal Massage: This is something that I feel a little reserved to talk in public about. I am quite open myself but I feel like some may not be. I discovered this massage during my first pregnancy when I was dreading about birth in general and one of them being 'the ring of fire' ; the pain associated to the stretching of the vaginal muscle when the baby is crowning or about to come out. Long story short, we (my husband and I) adopted perineal massage into my routine starting around 30 weeks and the result has been tremendous. I did not feel the tingle and to my amazement, Alhamdulillah I did not tear, so, I did not have to be stitched up or require an episiotomy. Now, I 'd say that is almost magical and worth trying. Basically, what this massage does is increasing the elasticity of the perineal and vaginal muscle. What you have to do is to stretch while massaging the muscle more and more as you go along. It is going to be painful at first, second and third but bear with it because you will find yourself able to tolerate the pain sooner than you might think. In fact, it somehow prepares you for labour itself because, trust me, you are going to breath through the pain just like you are about to do in labour. I am not a gynecologist but I am saying this from my own experience. So, if you are doubtful, consult your doctor about it. I have to point out that hygiene is key when doing this massage, so be sure to sanitize your hands before performing it. It is also recommended to use unscented, natural oil like olive oil or coconut oil for this. Also, do read the instructions carefully here and I also find that this video helps a lot. I highly recommend every expectant or second/third time moms to try it because you never know that it might work in your favour.


Well, that was a long post. I hope you learn something from it if you get this far and I hope that this post will benefit someone out there. 

Thank you for reading!!

6 comments:

  1. That is the first time I've heard of the perineal massage. Lol. Thank you for sharing and congratulations kak! :D

    www.hanablurbs.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my god it's a girl! join the beauty army! Congrats, akak. :*

    ReplyDelete
  3. aisyahdecullen8 July 2015 at 05:08

    congratulations on your baby girl! <3
    Uh oh, perineal massage and labour sound extremely daunting... T_T

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Good to hear that mummy and baby is doing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wah, baby girl! Tahniah, Kak!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.