Saturday, 8 August 2015

Skincare Stash #2: Peter Thomas Roth De-Spot Skin Brightening Corrector




If you have seen my Instagram (@fatimahearts) post a few months back, you would have seen that I have started using a new serum targeted for dark spot correcting from Peter Thomas Roth. I have also featured it in my June Favourites here. The product has the longest name ever like everything is now lately; Peter Thomas Roth De-Spot Skin Brightening Corrector. Today’s review is my documentation of my journey with the said product including a detailed pictorial of how my skin changes when I was using the PTR De-Spot Skin Brightening Corrector.

I have always been into Dark Spot Correcting Serum from as long as I can remember because my primary concern was and still is getting rid of post-acne marks and evening out my skin tone. Over the years of trial and error, I have noticed that my skin favours the result of a true dark spot correcting serum than those with whitening benefits that claim to have dark spot correcting abilities. Some that has worked for me in the past are Philosphy Miracle Worker Dark Spot Corrector Serum (sadly discontinued and replaced with Brighten My Day range), Kate Somerville D-Scar Scar Diminishing Serum, the Clinique Custom Repair Smart Serum and currently the Peter Thomas Roth De-Spot Skin Brightening Corrector. Apologies for the lack of review on Kate Somerville’s and the Clinique’s. I am letting you know now that they really do work for my scars. If I have to compare them all, I would say that PTR’s one has more additional effects for my skin. However, it may not mean that it will be the same case for you. I personally feel that PTR has better and more effective ingredients than the others.


Claims:
“Hydroquinone-free proprietary formula helps dramatically reverse the appearance of dark spots and discoloration due to aging, sun damage, pregnancy mask and post-acne discoloration. See results that appear comparable to maximum strength over-the-counter ingredients as little as 2 weeks and increasingly dramatic results in up to 12 weeks. With continued use, this powerful but non-irritating formula also helps prevent the appearance of future discoloration while maintaining skin tone clarity. Effective to be used on the face, décolleté, and tops of hands.”

Key Ingredients:
ILLUMISCIN: Helps reduce appearance of hyperpigmentation
Niacinamide PC: Helps to reduce appearance of age spots
ACTIWHITE: Comparable to other maximum strength brightening ingredients (without side effects)
Chromabright: More effective at reducing the appearance of hyperpigmentation than kojic acid
Lipochroman-6: Powerful antioxidant to help prevent future hyperpigmentation
Caffeine: Helps tone and condition skin.


Packaging:
At the top of my head, I can say, that the bottle is eye catching with polka dot Dalmation print all over the bottle and it is very wordy. Aesthetics aside, the product is contained in a vacuum pump packaging, however it is nothing like the typical one I was used to where there’s a long tube that extends from the neck to the bottom of the bottle. Instead PTR, utilizes a rather modern approach where the product is carried to the top as I use them. That way, no product ends up wasted and unattainable at the bottom of the container.

Texture:
This serum has a creamy consistency atypical to a watery texture that most serum has. If you are familiar with Olay Regenerist Serum, that is what the texture is almost akin to. I find the texture and the composition of the serum provided an added layer of moisture to the skin too. It spreads and absorbs easily without feeling tacky. My skin feels velvety soft post-application. 


Before
Observation:
I have been using PTR De-Spot Skin Brightening Corrector for two and a half months now 2 times a day after cleansing and toning all over my face but concentrating more on the uneven section. Afterwards, I go ahead and layer a hydrating moisturizer on top. My weekly skincare routine will contain of a dose of Alpha- H Liquid Gold once a week and a hydrating/anti-aging mask somewhere in between. It has always been like that no matter what I was using at the time. So, nothing has really changed except for the dark spot serum I was using.
Contrary to the claims, I definitely do not see an obvious or stark difference for the first two weeks when I was using the serum. I did see a reduction in discoloration after two weeks on a few of my acne scars. Without me noticing, after two months, all of my little scars I have around my jawline and chin area have faded significantly. My skin appears brighter and more uniform in comparison too (see photo).  I have also noticed blemishes are kept at bay. There was very few in a span of two months. It may be the hormones, so, I take what I can get now.

After (no makeup)
Pros:
-Ingredients are cutting edge yet gentle on the skin. I do not experience any tingling sensation (it’s not a glycolic based product). It may be suitable for sensitive skin.
- It works, it is able to make my new and old scars almost disappear.
- It brightens and even out the skin
-I don’t have to use a lot of concealer anymore
- It somehow controls acne formation
-Texture is lightweight yet hydrating and makes skin feels velvety soft.

Cons:
-It may not work the same for everyone
-Expensive

After (no makeup)
Will I be repurchasing?
Definitely, in a few weeks time, I will drop by Sephora again and purchase it. It is definitely on the expensive side (RM 310 for 30 ml) but the result that it gives justifies the price.

Will I look for a cheaper alternative?
Since I am a blogger, I do my research on whatever that crosses my mind every waking moment. In fact I am incorporating a new step into my skincare routine right now, which I will report back to you. I will say that I would but I will not let go of it completely unless the new product is better in every way. We shall see.

With anything skincare, it can be a gamble when it comes to efficacy. It may work for me, and not for someone else or otherwise. I feel like the more I am educated about ingredients that work for me, the more I am likely to find a gem than a dud from a skincare. I have also been unlucky in the past, so persist and you shall succeed. So, do your own research and analysis on your skin and the skincare that has been working or are working for you at the moment. In the meantime,  I will continue to use Peter Thomas Roth De-Spot Skin Brightening Corrector.

What’s your favourable type of serum?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.