Tuesday, 11 August 2015

Winged Eyeliner: Do You Prefer a Liquid or a Gel Eyeliner?


 This post just pops up in my head and I just had a Eureka moment to do it. Plus, I have also been enjoying wearing a lot of winged liner and I like 'em bold. For the past year, I have been doing my winged eyeliners with only a gel eyeliner from the Benefit They're Real Push Up Liner. And, quite recently, I have been getting back into liquid eyeliner again, so I have points to share with you about the two.
Left (your left): Gel Eyeliner | Right (your right): Liquid Eyeliner
Left (your left) Eye: Gel Eyeliner | Right (your right) Eye: Liquid Eyeliner

Gel Eyeliner: In my own honest opinion, I think a gel eyeliner will produce the most dramatic and the boldest winged liner ever. I just love how intense the result is. However, I know that the Benefit They're Real Push Up Liner is not everyone's cup of tea. While it is quite finicky to work with, the outcome is amazing and I don't mind it because I have enough practice with it. The Benefit They're Real Push Up Liner in particular gives a matte, intensely black finish that I have ever seen. It stays intensely the same even after hours of wear. I know there are a lot of gel eyeliners out there but I am just not talented enough to use a brush with it. With the one I have right now, I can bring it anywhere with me without having to bring a brush. I heard the Inglot Gel Eyeliner and the Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner ones are great too. I am just not sure if the finishing is matte. The Benefit They're Real Push Up Liner may still be the one for me until I find another that is better. The Tarte Tarteist Clay Paint Liner had me intrigued. Have you tried it?


Liquid Eyeliner: Before there was gel liner, I always resort to liquid eyeliner. I am sure we have tried so many in the past too. And with each, we learn their shortcomings and I find I always move on to another product once I am finished with the one I had. Case in point; the Kate Super Sharp Liner (RM 40.59 from Sasa) the replacement for my Pixi Lash Line Ink and Maybelline Hyper Sharp Liner. I discovered this earlier in the month and I feel like it will be staying in my stash for a long time. A little bit about the product itself: I get full control of my line with this pencil (it's unbelievable), the brush is not too stiff, too fine or too flimsy, it draws the most the most precise line ever, it does not bleed and the colour is more black and intense than the Maybelline Hyper Sharp Liner. It is simply hard to mess up with this. The only thing is, it does not finish matte, so it may not lasts as long if you have oily eyelids. An eyeshadow primer is your best friend if this happens to you often. Do you know of any liquid eyeliner that dries matte? Let's interact in the comment section below. 

For me personally, a liquid eyeliner is a great tool to have on an everyday basis and a foolproof one for that quick winged eyeliner both for beginners, makeup enthusiast and even professionals. A gel eyeliner, whilst not for everyone is best reserved for special occasions or even moments when you need to look extra dramatic and bold on the eyes. It may take a little practice and perseverance.

A tip if you find your eyeliner too shiny or lacquer-ish in finish is to set and trace it with an intense black eyeshadow on top. Use a slanted eyeliner brush to pack on the colours on top and stay as close to your lash lines. It will amp up the longevity of your eyeliner too. 


Are you a liquid or a gel kinda gal/guy?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.