Thursday, 19 November 2015

Laura Mercier Silk Creme Moisturizing Photo Edition: Review and Best Application Tips


2015 has witnessed a slew of foundation launches from nearly all makeup brands. Left, right and centre I see one sometimes two or even three foundations coming up from just a single brand. I seriously have never seen so many foundations launching all at once in my makeup loving life. I'd like to know if you think the same too because I know I am not the only one. Being a makeup addict, it is so hard to resist the temptation. So, I have to pick and choose while also filling in the foundation void. I know I don't have a full coverage foundation in my stash but I don't want anything heavy or too full coverage like Estee Lauder Double Wear. And this one from Laura Mercier offers a "photo ready foundation that creates a flawless canvas with a natural luminous finish. The moisturising, long wear formula blends seamlessly onto skin, hiding even hard-to-cover imperfections." The description sounds like music to my ears and after a matching session and trying it on my skin, I walked out with the shade Sand Beige (fyi, I am around NC25-NC30 in MAC). This foundation also comes in two formulations; a moisturizing version and an oil free version. Having normal to sometimes dry skin, I picked up the former. If you have acne prone skin, rest assured because this foundation is non-comedogenic and dermatologist tested. If you have sensitive skin, I would advise to get a sample to try.

Bare skin with no foundation/concelaer on; just a brow pencil and a lipstick
I have already had this foundation for 2 months now and I have been wearing it ever so often. At first application, I can say that it is the most natural looking, skin-like foundation with a great coverage. It gives a good medium coverage with just one layer of foundation. You can build this foundation to be full coverage if you want to. However, what makes it different than any other high coverage foundation is that it looks believable and not cakey. It is probably down to the moisturizing formula that this one has. I find that one layer is enough for me to get the coverage that I wanted.
A layer of Laura Mercier Silk Creme Moisturising Photo Edition
Application technique is key as well. I found the best way to get that natural looking finish while getting an even coverage is by blending out the foundation with a sponge (i used my Beautyblender) or my hands. My findings was consistent with what Laura suggested the application to be which is with a sponge. I find the Beautyblender spread the pigment so evenly on the skin. With a brush (I used Sigma F80 Flat Top Kabuki Brush), the finish is less skin like. Perhaps, pairing a dense brush with such a high coverage foundation may seem too much. The brush/application is just going to add more pigment to an area from a foundation that is already high coverage. You know what I mean? Besides, it's just not a good look. 

As you can see from the photos above, with just one layer, the foundation takes the darkness of my hyperpigmentations on my chin significantly down. Minor imperfection disappear and I just need to do very little concealing. I am also happy how it does that without masking the skin. I did powder just a little bit all around to set it. Throughout the time that I have this foundation on, it does not slide off my face, settle into lines or pores or makes my skin further oily or dry. And that was without any primer on. It feels lightweight on the skin too which is a bonus for me. I love how it does not finish too matte or too dewy as well. It simply reflects my skin underneath.

Overall, I think this foundation grasp the best of both worlds; high coverage while looking skin like. Not many foundations I know that are high coverage can pull that off. So you can imagine my excitement when I found this.

I would say if you like high coverage foundation and love a skin like finish, then this foundation is for you. Regardless if you have oily skin or dry skin or if you are someone who prefers more matte or more natural finish the two formulations (Oil-free and Moisturizing)  that Laura Mercier offers will work in your favour. 

I simply can't find a fault in it. Definitely a foundation worth investing if you are looking for one that fulfils the criteria I mentioned above. 

Once again, Laura Mercier has done it!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.