Thursday, 3 December 2015

Affordable Skincare and Niacinamide: A Report of My Own Experience

When it comes to skincare, I believe in investing more on brands that I know that is probably going to work on my skin. Sometimes, it is an expensive gamble and when you have a house mortgage to pay, you have to downsize your budget. Or if you are curious like me, you are willing to try out just about anything but for me, I need to have some prior insider knowledge about the products first. I simply need to make an informed decision. You know that my favourite Brightening Dark Spot Corrector was from the brand Peter Thomas Roth (review here). I have one backup sitting inside the drawer of my bedside table for emergencies. One of the active ingredients in the serum is Niacinamide. 


"Niacinamide is an ingredient  also known as vitamin B3 and nicotinic acid, niacinamide is a potent cell-communicating ingredient that offers multiple benefits for aging skin. Assuming skin is being protected from sun exposure, niacinamide can improve skin’s elasticity, dramatically enhance its barrier function, help erase discolorations, and revive skin’s healthy tone and texture. Topically applied niacinamide has been shown to increase ceramide and free fatty acid levels in skin, prevent skin from losing water content, and stimulate microcirculation in the dermis. It also has a growing reputation for being able to treat an uneven skin tone and to mitigate acne and the red marks it leaves behind (known as post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation). Niacinamide, an excellent ingredient for those struggling with wrinkles and breakouts, is stable in the presence of heat and light." [Taken from Paula's Choice website]




  • Have I seen a difference to my skin?
Yes, I have seen a big and noticeable difference. As you may have already known I was pregnant and have just given birth to a baby recently. During that hormonal period, my skin has not broken out which is a miracle for me. My skin has definitely becomes brighter, radiant and more even toned as the routine progresses. The brightness was what I noticed first. I cannot say that it gets rid of my dark spots completely but they have clearly diminished in the opacity of the darkness. My skin has practically look younger, healthier and I don't think I have ever see my skin in this light before. It does not make my skin perfect but it was much much better than it was before. I have also feel more confident even with no makeup on. 

  • Do I think that the product is comparable/replaceable to my Peter Thomas Roth De-Spot?
No, I think not. I feel like it takes longer for Olay to show results in terms of dark spots correction. However, I can say that both gives comparable results in the brightening department. I would say that Olay Regenerist range will always be something I know I can rely on for effective anti-aging and brightening skincare. However, I will always have Peter Thomas Roth for faster dark spot correction. 

  • Would you still continue using Olay Regenerist product?
Yes, of course for how it transforms and for the price point (3 Olay products=1 Peter Thomas Roth De-Spot). They are such a value for my skin and my money. In fact, I am dropping by the drugstore tomorrow to buy another Micro Sculpting Serum because I am running low of it.

  • Would you recommend Olay Regenerist range?
Yes especially if you are in your late twenties or early thirties and struggles with uneven skin tone. This range is great for fighting the first sign of ageing while giving skin enough hydration and boost luminosity to look younger. I believe this  range also caters for people with oily skin with their oil-free moisturizers. So, that is a big plus. 


So, that concludes my findings on my experience testing out drugstore skincare that contains a potent anti-ageing, skin beautifying ingredient; Niacinamide. So, now you know what to look for in the ingredient to have a great skin in the future. 
To sum it all, Niacinamide is a do it all product; ageing skin, dry skin, hyper pigmented skin, acne prone skin, dull skin etc. will benefit from the use of this super molecule. Curiosity gets the best of me when I found out that most Olay products contain a significant amount of Niacinamide and it is listed up on the ingredient list. With high hopes, I bought a few of Olay products to complete an affordable drugstore regimen. And, I am here to report, it's all good news. I used the Regenerist range because I have seen such great reviews from the line. 

I have started this regimen 2 months ago, enough to see a difference on my skin. My routine started with Olay Regenerist Revitalizing Cream Cleanser, RM 18.50 (not pictured, silly me), a cleanser that has fine micro beads that won't scratch the skin, not foamy and very gentle on the skin. I also use this as a second cleanse after my The Body Shop Silky Cleansing Oil when I have makeup to get off. I have gone through three tubs of these and use it every single day alternating with my GlamGlow ThirstyCleanse. Then, I would  continue with Olay Micro Sculpting Serum during the day and night after toning. At night, I would take layer an extra step of the Olay Regenerist Night Resurfacing Essence before I put on the serum. Then, without fail, I would layer 4 drops of my Trilogy Rosehip Antioxidant+ Oil on top of that day and night. Finally, as a final top layer is my moisturizer Olay Regenerist Micro Sculpting Moistuizer + SPF for the day and my Olay Regenerist Night Cream at night time. Apart from masks and my Alpha-H Liquid Gold treatment, this was my routine for the last two months.

Have you tried Olay products before?

P.S. This post is not sponsored by Olay




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.